JEA waterworks Building and Museum
A complex project dealing with a variety of important issues, the JEA Water Works Building consists of an interior renovation and an exterior restoration. Construction costs totaled $3 million for the 20,000 square foot facility. This site is an existing water plant, still in service. Careful planning and construction coordination were imperative to ensure that the building stayed in operation.
The highlight of the exhibit is the restoration of the original 1915, 20 ton flywheel, converting it into a kinetic display.
Located in the Springfield area of Jacksonville, PQH worked closed with the Springfield Preservation and Revitalization Council (SPAR) and Jacksonville's Historic Commission to stay true to the restoration of the 1915 facade, as well as to meet historic guidelines.
The JEA Visitor’s Center was also completed on this site. Serving as the first stop on the Waterworks Museum tour, the center houses a gift shop, offices, a small auditorium and additional display areas. The 6,000 sf space was constructed of wood molded bricks to match the original structure. Connecting the two buildings is a large plaza complete with interactive fountains, covered walkways, period landscaping and a picnic pavilion.